Harry Roberts began racing in 1954 under the rules of BCASA because Nanaimo did not have an association. They raced at Shearing in Cobble Hill which was a very rough track as it was only a blade mix pavement. Harry raced there for two years until Western Speedway opened with a dirt track.
The first car he raced was a 1935 Ford. The #77 was in Harry’s word, “a real tank, but it was our first try at racing”. The next car was his first #13 race car, a 1935 Ford 2 door coupe that he drove on the dirt at Western Speedway. Harry’s cars were always green and carried the #13, he said “no superstitions allowed”.
In 1958 Harry was elected President of MIARA and negotiated with the City of Nanaimo in building Grand View Bowl. He continued to race at the now paved tracks at Nanaimo and Victoria until 1960. The last car he drove was painted with a candy apple lacquer paint. Bing Foster dubbed it the The Apple Green Baby; Harry sure thought it was pretty and wishes he had it now.
Suddenly, in 1960, there was no time for driving raxe cars because that year is when two of his three children contracted polio and had to stay in the Queen Alexandria Solarium in Victoria. Although Harry wasn’t racing he stayed active in MIARA getting elected President again in 1960. Also, from time to time, he did get called upon to do some flagging.
We are profoundly grateful and pleased to induct Harry Roberts into the Victoria Auto Racing Hall Of Fame.