The Dalby name has been well known in Northwest racing circles since 1935. Brothers Allan and John are being inducted together as a tribute to the Dalby name and in recognition of the sons and grandsons who have also chased the checkered flag.
The Dalby mark of excellence has been etched in the framework and engines of many different racing machines–from sprints, midgets, stock cars, sports cars and even a 266 class hydroplane.
In his early years, internationally known car builder/owner Grant King studied much of Dalby’s work (testified to by the unmistakable likeness of the first King car to that of the Dalby Sprinter. At that time, the Dalby Special was a radical departure from the conventional in that it was designed specifically for paved track use and presented a much lower profile than the contemporary dual purpose machines.
Although the Dalby brothers did not follow the same paths in racing in the later years, they are still involved in the sport. Johnny was active in the Seattle area building and working on cars, engines and even took a job on the technical committee with NASCAR Grand National West. As an organizer, he has been tirelessly and voluntarily within the frameworks throughout their growing years. In 1976 he joined his two sons, Steve and Jan, who were driving Stopck Cars and began driving himself. He also has three grandchildren who were active in quarter midgets. With his restored Midget race car, Johnny enjoys being part of the Northwest Golden Wheels Fraternity.
Living in Victoria, Alan became a supporter of his two sons, David and Wayne, who had become involved in the sport of Auto Racing at Western Speedway. He also served on the crew of an Old Time Racers Association (OTRA) race car, and in 1990, travelled with the group to a race series at Flamboro Speedway in Hamilton, Ontario, and then to the C.N.E. Stadium in Toronto.
The Dalby name has a true racing heritage throughout the Pacific Northwest.